Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Best Christmas Hymn Ever

While there's still time, I'd like to make a pitch for my own favorite Christmas song.  In the past few years I've been introduced to my recent favorites, "Fairytale of New York" and "Baby It's Cold Outside," and I'm grateful for the exposure.  But when it comes to traditional Christmas songs, there's one that stands out more than any others, and you almost never hear it sung.  The hymn in question is "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence."  

I've loved the song ever since I first performed it in choir almost 25 years ago.  It's eerie and somber and speaks to the potential unearthly holiness of Christmas better than any other hymn out there.  (The medieval mode helps.)  Unfortunately, a truly great version that's free is very hard to find.  So I've offered two YouTubes here.  The first, a single voice, will give you a sense of the lyrics, and the second will demonstrate how it can sound when it's arranged all pretty.  

If you enjoy it, spread the word!  I'd love to hear some pop singer cover this instead of "Silent Night" for the gazillionth time.



Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

A modern cover, you say? Here you go! (It's the track called Incarnation.)

http://www.isaaceverett.com/

Full disclosure, I recently married this guy, but I think it works even better in a 7/4 setting than in the traditional 4/4 time signature. :-)

12/30/2008 3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home