Bourbon Cowboy

The adventures of an urbane bar-hopping transplant to New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I'm a storyteller in the New York area who is a regular on NPR's "This American Life" and at shows around the city. Moved to New York in 2006 and am working on selling a memoir of my years as a greeting card writer, and (as a personal, noncommercial obsession) a nonfiction book called "How to Love God Without Being a Jerk." My agent is Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans. If you came here after hearing about my book on "This American Life" and Googling my name, the "How to Love God" book itself isn't in print yet, and may not even see print in its current form (I'm focusing on humorous memoir), but here's a sample I've posted in case you're curious anyway: Sample How To Love God Introduction, Pt. 1 of 3. Or just look through the archives for September 18, 2007.) The book you should be expecting is the greeting card book, about which more information is pending. Keep checking back!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Goodbye and Hello

Remember how I used to post two, even three times a day on this blog?  Well two things happened.  First, I had to write an entire book.  Second, I had to create a NEW blog, suitable for a Big Name Author (tm), and I haven't wanted to launch it until it's all pretty and stuff.

But dammit, I have to sort of "prelaunch" now, because I have to announce a few news items, even though I don't have a thing to wear and my hair is a mess, virtually speaking.  

So I am officially abandoning THIS blog--not even maintaining the pretense anymore--and blogging exclusively at my new site, davidellisdickerson.com (no "www"). Link your RSS feed or aggregator or whatever it's called to the new site.  

It contains all my old posts, only this time they're nicely organized so that with a single tab press you can see all my vocabulary poems, or all my bar napkin cartoons, and so on.  Another nice feature: all my long posts should automatically cut themselves.  Aside from that, there's not much to it yet and it's not even as pretty as I'd like.  But it will be expanding.  

In the meantime, go there!  You'll know you've found it if you see the post that reads:

I've been putting off the official launch of this new version of my blog because I don't feel it's ready yet.  No author photo, no link to my book, no press kit, no calendar, et cetera.  But I'm between two big events and I need to announce it in some way.  So forgive the hasty look of the place.  I just moved in.  

First off, my story, "A Flash of Hope," is the story of the week on the wonderful Moth Podcast, available on iTunes at this page: http://tinyurl.com/djy2ms  The Moth Podcast is often the #1 podcast in the country (up there with This American Life, Car Talk, and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me), so I'm thrilled to be on display.  And they mention my book!  (Some of you may know this story by the title I usually give it, "The Most Heartwarming Wet T-Shirt Contest Ever."  They needed something shorter.)

In other news--bigger but more localized--I'm opening for David Sedaris at FSU in Tallahassee on Thursday....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! So you did it. We met when you first moved to New York in a bar that my mum and stepdad used to go to. Don't know if you remember Denise and Norman. Back than you didn't know what direction to go in. Congrats on finding your way.

4/20/2010 4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home